The Supers

The Supers
Our growing superfamily

Monday, July 5, 2010

Welcome to the World



Talia Rose Davidson-Dumas, born 6:32am, Tuesday, June 29th, 2010. Weighing a tidy 7lbs 9oz and measuring 19.5”.


Her birth was uneventful. What a wonderful way to describe a birth! No induction, no panic, no hurry, no paediatrician hovering outside the door, no obstetrician taking over the show, and quiet nurses that came in at precisely the last moment and then just as quietly slipped back out of the room. For the most part, just David and I and a bathtub, with a midwife coming in every once in a while to poke at my belly with a heart rate monitor. I love an uneventful birth. My first one, and my last.


Now she is here, and she sleeps and sleeps and sleeps. Brother holds her, and she sleeps. Sister holds her, and she sleeps. Mommy tries to get some sleep, and she wakes up. Good morning! No rest, Mommy, need, need, need.


These first days are easier the third time around, but certainly not easy. I’m tired, and emotional, and have trouble dealing calmly and rationally with the other two. Their needs pile onto the new neediness and I lose my temper too quickly. I send David to the park with the other two so I can rest and recoup my sanity. I think it is easier the third time around because I don’t take it personally anymore. I don’t take the crying personally, or the nursing issues, or even the short fuse I have. I know it’s the hormones, the lack of sleep, and the new overwhelming sense of responsibility. I say I know, but more importantly, I KNOW, I’m not just saying the words.


I’d love to write more, but I should get my rest.

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea how you do it, but I've seen you in action and you do it with grace and much aplomb.
    :)

    ReplyDelete